of the Pokémon series
Arbitrary code execution
0x1500 control code arbitrary code execution (Crystal) | Cart-swap arbitrary code execution | Generation I custom map script pointer | Generation I invalid meta-map scripts | Generation I item ("8F", "ws m", "-g m", "5かい", "てへ" etc.) | Generation I move ("-", "TM42") | Generation I Trainer escape glitch text boxes | Generation II bad clone | Generation II Burned Tower Silver | Japanese Crystal Pokémon Communication Center SRAM glitches | Coin Case glitch | Generation II glitch Pokédex sortings | Pikachu off-screen glitch ACE | OAM DMA hijacking | Pikachu glitch emote | Generation III glitch Pokémon summary | Generation III glitch move animation) | Remote code execution | TM/HMs outside of the TM/HM pocket | ZZAZZ glitch Trainer FC
No further extensions
Cloning | Item duplication glitch (Generation I) | Pokémon merge glitch ("Q Glitch", Generation I) | Time Capsule exploit | Bug-Catching Contest data copy glitch (Generation II, Japan only) | Berry glitch | Battle Tower [email protected] glitch (Generation III) | (Mimic) Transform Rage glitch (Generation IV)
Transform held item glitch (Generation IV, Japan only) | Mimic glitch (Generation IV, Japan only)
Buffer overflow techniques
99 item stack glitch | LOL glitch | Rival LOL glitch | Instant LOL glitch | RAM LOL glitch | Out of bounds LOL glitch | blockoobLG | Instant encounter infinite chain glitch | LGFly | Super Glitch (Generation I) | Party remaining HP glitch | Super Glitch (Generation III) | Text pointer manipulation mart buffer overflow glitch | CoolTrainer♀-type move | Double distort CoolTrainer♀ corruption | Yami Shop glitch | Party Pokémon box data shift glitch | Unterminated name glitch item instant encounter (Japanese Red/Green)
Item stack duplication glitch (Generation I)
Generation I expanded items pack (Glitch Rocket HQ maps, Map FE (English and non-English European Yellow) | Map script pointer manipulation (arbitrary code execution | Map script pointer item ball manipulation) | Text pointer manipulation (arbitrary code execution | Item ball manipulation | Mart buffer overflow) | Trainerless instant encounter glitch
Bad clone glitch (Generation II)
????? party overloading (Type 0xD0 move glitch | ????? map corruption | Celebi trick | Celebi Egg trick | Shiny Celebi trick | Glitch move map corruption | Overloaded party map corruption | Glitch Unown (Glitch Unown map corruption) | Duplicate key items glitch (Infinite items and item creation, Expanded Balls pocket (Wrong pocket TM/HMs, Glitch Pokédex categories))
Closed menu Select glitches (Japanese Red/Green)
Dokokashira door glitch (International) | Fossil conversion glitch (international) | Second type glitch | Skip to Level 100 glitch | Trainer mutation glitch | Walk through walls (International) | Lift glitch | Badge describer glitch
Pomeg glitch (Generation III)
Pomeg data corruption glitch ("Glitzer Popping") | Charm glitch
Voiding (Generation IV)
Broken escalator glitch (Japan only) | Elite Four door glitch (Japan only)
2x2 block encounter glitches (Generation I)
Left-facing shore tile glitch (in-game trade shore encounter trick, Old man trick, Trade link up shore encounter trick, Fight Safari Zone Pokémon trick) | Viridian Forest no encounter grass tiles glitch
Safari Zone exit glitch | RAM manipulation | Out of bounds Glitch City (Generation II) | Slowpoke Well out of bounds corruption (French Gold/Silver/Crystal)
Large storage box byte shift glitch
Storage box remaining HP glitch | Generation I max stat trick
Pikachu off-screen glitch
Trainer corruption glitch
Generation I save corruption | 255 Pokémon glitch | Expanded party encounter table manipulation (Generation I) | Send party Pokémon to a new game (Generation I) | Generation II save corruption | Mailbox glitches | Mystery Gift item corruption | Trainer House glitches
Trainer escape glitch
Death-warp | Ditto trick | Experience underflow glitch | Mew trick | Text box ID matching | Meta-map script activation
Walk through walls
Ledge method | Museum guy method | Rival's effect | Select glitch method (International Select glitch method), Brock Through Walls
Surf down glitch
Grass/rock Surfing glitch (Spanish/Italian only) (adaptions: Submerge glitch (international)) | 8 8 (0x7C) grass/rock surfing glitch (English Red/Blue))
(view, talk, edit)
International 'dokokashira door glitch' is an equivalent of the original Dokokashira door glitch in international releases of Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow versions. It exploits the fact that the method of activating the glitch was patched, but the glitch itself was not, leaving it accessible in other ways.
Even though the glitch is still the same, its effects are significantly different from the Japanese versions. The most recognizable effect of the original glitch, which is warping around the map, will not work in localizations (but a similar effect occurs in Pokémon Yellow, where the south map connection changes every 1024 steps). Some of the effects are shared between the Japanese and English versions, like the corruption of map tiles.
Activating the glitch
The key to activating the glitch is to either switch the end terminator on the first place in the player's party, or delete the end terminator from the party. There are several possible methods of achieving this.
- Activating the ZZAZZ glitch with one, three, four or six Pokémon in the party.
- Accessing the Pokémon beyond the sixth slot, and swapping the 7th Pokémon with the first one. This will only work if the player had 6 Pokémon before doing the glitch.
- Activating Super Glitch with proper setup; see [thread on the forums] for more information.
Since all of the methods presented above cause memory corruption, it's not recommended to save the game after completing any of them.
Effects by game version
- Random Pokemon keep fainting even though nothing is poisoned.
- Artifacts appear on the screen every 4 steps.
- Some of the map tiles are changed every 4 steps.
- In locations where music track ID matches a hex number of $X8, $X9, $XA, $XB, $XC, $XD, $XE, $XF, music changes slightly after walking 4 steps.
- Some of the event flags are reset or set every 4 steps.
- If quantity of 5th item in bag matches a hex number of $X8, $X9, $XA, $XB, $XC, $XD, $XE, $XF, the quantity of item #4 will get decremented every 4 steps.
- PC Pokémon 9 hybridization glitch
- If Clefable is registered as owned in the Pokédex, Capture flags for Pokédex numbers 17-24 will get decremented every 4 steps.
- Number of items decrements every 4 steps if the quantity of the first item in the bag matches a hex number of $X8, $X9, $XA, $XB, $XC, $XD, $XE, $XF.
- If the 4th Pokémon in the party has a hex identifier of $X8, $X9, $XA, $XB, $XC, $XD, $XE, $XF, the identifier of Pokémon #2 will get decremented every 4 steps.
- Items in 16th, 21st, 39th and 43rd slot in the PC have their identifiers decremented every 4 steps.
- After walking 1024 or less steps the south map connection byte gets decremented once.
- The sprites will randomly teleport across the screen or change into Red sprites.
- Sometimes, after entering a new location, the music will take a lot more time to fade out.
- The walking speed becomes very slow.
Moreover, all effects from Pokémon Red and Blue still happen in Yellow.
- Dokokashira door glitch
- Select glitch