|This article is incomplete. Please feel free to add any missing information about the subject. It is missing: Pointers and Pokémon Yellow.|
This is a list of the behaviors of invalid (glitch) choices for the badge describer's badge list in Cerulean City. This list is currently for Pokémon Red and Blue.
Meta-map script 0x7F or 0xFF in Agatha's room in Red/Blue is also a way to technically access glitch choices with theoretically neither arbitrary code execution, arbitrary RAM modification or a cheating device, but the badge menu in Agatha's room is invisible so it requires memorization of the menu (including the scrolling and lag from unterminated name badges (items)). The player can view the VRAM at 9C00 (e.g. using BGB emulator) to reveal the menu, though the font is still glitched.
- Evie (Torchickens)
The badge items display their normal badge texts and when the order is changed in a hex editor, the texts also will change correctly.
ROM addresses 74E6E through 74E76 control the items that the badge man lists. These are loaded in game at addresses CF7C until CF84 when the player opens the badge list. This makes 01xx7CCF a convenient GameShark code for testing invalid badge describer choices. The normal badge items are 15-1C. The normal text pointer table for BoulderBadge through to EarthBadge is at 1D:4E86. Following it are two byte pointers (endianness must be reversed to get the pointer), so for instance at 1D:4E86 is 96 4E (1D:4E96) this is the first entry so is the Boulderbadge, at 1D:4E88 is the pointer for CascadeBadge and so on.
To find the source of the text of invalid badges, it is more complicated but they can be found by setting a breakpoint to 1D:4E5B (74E4B) and reading the value of hl. If the badge has an unterminated name, use code 0150A0C3 and flash the Pokémon menu before viewing a badge, to avoid a freeze from the unterminated name.
To enable arbitrary code execution on a RAM pointer, have 08 at the beginning of the text source.
|Item ID (DEC)||Item ID (HEX)||Name||Pointer to text|
|50||32||PP Up (useless)||0200|
|100||64||v t m||2121|
|116||74||DHNhIT4 89 ゥ N||3EA1|
|125||7D||# ₽ ₽ぅ#######||F04F|
|126||7E||## ## ## A# ?##||1D:47DB|
|128+||80-FF||Many||Assumed to be that of item -0x80|
Note some of these behaviors are not consistent and were noted as they occurred at the time. A lot of the data is inaccurate due to the dependence on RAM.
- Item 00 (j.): Displays an empty text box which also plays sounds, then restarts the game
- Item 01 Master Ball: Displays an empty text box which also plays sounds, then adds a glitchy block to the start menu. After that returns to normal, with only the drum part of the music playing
- Item 02 Ultra Ball: Displays the same, requires the player to scroll two times, then plays one of the town themes, after it will go back to playing sounds, then it a different town theme again and after that freezes the game with a white screen
- 03 Great Ball, will play sounds at first but will then play a glitched version of real music, this locks up the game
- 04 Poké Ball, causes 0 Error
- 05 Town Maps, plays glitchy version of encounter music
- 06 Bicycle: causes sounds to play and eventually a text box with glitch text which contains many numbers and black boxes appears. This glitches the map afterwards
- 07 ????? causes the game to display an empty text box which is scrollable, after scrolling it will display 0 error with sounds playing, after it will be scrollable again which glitches the text on the badge list. One of the sounds played is the sounds played is the intro of Lavender Town. Locks up
- 08 Safari Ball: Plays slowed down version of Cerulean theme. Locks up
- 09 Pokédex: causes the game to play sounds with an textbox loaded with glitch text, afterwards causes the game to return to normal but with introduction theme
- 0A Moon Stone: displays 0 error
- 0B Antidote: displays 0 error
- 0C Burn Heal: displays 0 error
- 0D Ice Heal: displays glitch text box with glitched intro theme and afterwards locks up without sound and with an invalid opcode - needs to be tested on 3ds
- 0E: Awakening, causes game to play sounds very shortly, then returns to normal
- 0f Parlyz Heal: causes a theme, to play with empty scrollable text box, then sounds play and another scrollable text box appears, afterwards game removes sprite of badge man and only plays a drum part.
- 10 Full Restore: Causes glitch sounds to play shortly, then returns game to normal without music
- 11 Max Potion: causes game to play glitch sounds with empty textbox, After a while text box will become scrollable with evolution music. Scrolling causes glitch sounds to play, a glitch tile to appear under the item name and a glitchy version of a theme. Locks up
- 12 Hyper Potion: Causes glitch text to appear with sound. After a while list disappears and glitched elite 4 room theme starts to play. with text box without border which is scrollable. After a while plays guide theme. Eventually locks up with notes of one of the town themes
- 13 Super Potion: displays 0 error
- 14 Potion: causes scrollable empty text box with glitchy encounter theme, after wards another scrollable text box with Cinnabar Island theme. Then causesblack bar to fill the screen with a normal text box which displays error above the text box. Game still is playable afterward
- 1D Escape Rope: Text box with 9 is displayed, after that game plays glitchy version of rival theme. The 9's appearing seem dependent on RAM data. Sometimes locks up
- 1E Repel: causes glitch text box with many ellipses to appear. after a while sounds start toplay. After a while the normal text box appears and glitchy rival music will play. Game can be played afterwards
- 1F Old Amber: Causes empty text box with sounds to play. After a while a glitch text appears with glitchy rival music and the text box becomes scrollable with many more sounds. After a while many 9's start to appear and the Cinnabar theme plays which also fades a way after a time. At this point the normal text box will come up without music with glitch text above it. It will however not react to button presses (though scroll arrow will continue flashing). A large part of ram will be filled with FF bytes
- 20 Fire Stone: Glitch text box will appear filling with ellipses, and a glitch tile will appear under item name. After a while glitched introduction music will play and after a while will stop play while a large part of ram is filled with FF bytes
- 21 Thunderstone: absolutely nothing happens
- 22 Water Stone: empty scrollable text box will appear, after scrolling it another empty text box appears which locks up the game
- 23 HP UP: displays empty text box with glitch noises. After a while rival music starts playing and game is playable
- 24 Protein: empty text box with noises which becomes scrollable after a while with glitchy rival music. After scrolling it causes a text box with glitchy text and sounds to appear and after a while this becomes scrollable too with glitchy rival music. This activates a similar text box which 9's eventually with Cinnabar music playing. This fades away after a while and the ram is then largely overwritten with ff's
- 25 Iron: first plays a few sounds then displays text: Welcome to the Safari Zone
- 26 Carbos: does nothing.
- 27 Calcium: first plays some sounds, then displays scrollable glitch text box with number 777215 in it which after scrolling will disable the music and go back to the normal text box with glitch text above it. The game is playable after that but the badge man sprite has been removed.
- 28 Rare Candy: Causes the game to display empty text box with glitch noises playing. After a while the game returns to normal with glitchy rival music playing
- 29 Dome Fossil: causes empty text box with sounds playing. after a while glitchy rival music will play and text box becomes scrollable. Then a glitchy text box will appear that after a few moments becomes scrollable, which leads to another glitchy text box with Cinnabar music of death (CMOD). After a while the ram will be thrashed with FF bytes, which causes many 9's,
- 2a Helix Fossil. Causes empty text box with an sound effect wich will become scrollable. After that normal text box will appear with glitch text above it.
- 2b: Secret Key. Does nothing
- 2c ?????: causes ellipse text box with guide music.
- 2d Bike Voucher: causes empty text box with glitch noises, and after that return to normal with glitchy rival music
- 2e X Accuracy: causes sounds to play with including the key item sound with empty text box that after a while becomes scrollable with glitchy rival music. Causes CMOD.
- 2f Leaf Stone Causes the game to lock up with PC/Select sound effect
- 30 Card Key: does nothing
- 31 Nugget: Causes empty text box with sounds to play. One of the sounds is partially the evolution music. After that the text box becomes scrollable with evolution music. After scrolling another empty text box appears with sounds and glitch tile appears under the item name. A glitchy guide theme is then played. Locks up game
- 32 Fake PP Up: Causes empty text box with glitch sounds. Game continues normallty but with only drum parts playing of music.
- 33 Poké Doll: causes empty text box with sounds to be played. Afterwards game goes back to normal with glitchy rival theme playing
- 34 Full Heal: Causes sounds to play, and drum parts of the song, afterwards becomes normal again.
- 35 Revive: Causes empty text box with sounds; afterwards game becomes normal with glitchy rival music.
- 36 Max Revive: Causes empty text box with sounds to play and after that text box is scrollable evolution music starts to play. After that a new empty text box appears and after a few moments glitchy guide music is started which locks up the game.
- 37 Guard Spec: Causes empty textbox to appear with sounds, then returns game to normal with Glitchy rival music.
- 38 Super Repel: causes text box with parts of the start menu to appear with sounds, then locks up the game.
- 39 Max Repel: empty text box with key item sounds, then plays glitchy music then becomes silent until pressing A. Also causes glitchy tile to appear under item name. Warps player to glitch map that causes white screen freeze.
- 3A Dire Hit: causes empty text box to appear with sounds. Returns game to normal afterwards with glitchy rival music.
- 3B Coin: Causes empty text box with sounds which eventually fills up with ellipses and glitch text with glitchy rival music, After scrolling it displays blank text, cPoké. ROCKET a few times. Eventually locks up with glitchy guide music
- 3C Fresh Water. Causes ellipses text box and and many item obtained sounds. Eventually plays guide music. Eventually locks up with route theme. Ram is thrashed with 75 value.
- 3D Soda Pop. Causes game to briefly display a empty text box with glitch sounds. Causes game to return to normal
- 3E Lemonade: Causes text box with ellipses at the beginning that becomes empty after a while and is scrollable then. After scrolling causes another text box to appear with ellipses with many item obtained sounds and guide music. Thrashes ram with 75 value. Freezes the game with first few notes of a route theme.
- 3F S.S. Ticket. Causes drum part of a theme to play and returns game to normal
- 40 Gold Teeth: Causes text box with few ellipses and then becomes empty after which it is scrollable. Eventually effects are the same as lemonade
- 41 X Attack: Causes empty text box with many sounds to appear. After a while it becomes scrollable with evolution music and another empty text box appears with many more noises and glitchy guide theme. Also with glitch tile under item name. Locks up
- 42 X Defend: Empty text box with glitchy rival music. Locks up
- 43 X Speed: 0 Error.
- 44 X Special: Text box with glitchy text that begins with sounds but then becomes silent. Locks up
- 45 Coin Case: Causes empty text box with sounds, that becomes scrollable when glitchy route theme plays. After scrolling another empty text box appears with sounds with glitch tile under item name that ends with a bar freeze
- 46: Oak's Parcel: Empty text box appears with sounds and noises and a glitch tile under item name. After a while returns game to playable with glitchy rival music. Removes badge man. If you return badge man will be back but no interaction is possible at first.
- 47 Itemfinder: Empty text box with sounds that also gets interrupted at the beginning. After a while glitch tile appears under item name. After a while text becomes scrollable which causes sounds to be played and list text to be corrupted. Locks up.
- 48 Silph Scope: Causes text box to appear with many 9's. After a while returns game to normal badge texts with glitch tile under item name. If you exit, player will be stuck in invisible wall. Also, music will be silent. If start menu is opened, there will be mostly white glitchy mess
- 49 Poké Flute: Displays ellipse text box with ellipses overwriting the bottom of the text box, normal music still plays. If you press a, many item obtained sounds will play. After a while Cinnabar music will play, and the game will display the normal badge man texts. If you exit, all people sprites are removed and player is stuck in invisible wall. If start menu is opened, map will change to a glitchy mess.
- 4A Lift Key: Glitch tile with 0 error
- 4b Exp. All: Empty text box with sounds, that eventually becomes scrollable with introduction theme. Scrolling it causes a text box appear with chair tiles and sounds with the introduction theme. 9's will also appear after a few moments. Eventually there will be a glitched version of it playing. Locks up the game. It will after a while display the normal badge man texts and play the correct version of the introduction theme. When exiting, the badge man sprite is removed and the player is stuck in an invisible wall. Start menu effect similar to Silph Scope.
- 4c Old Rod: Causes empty text box with sounds route theme. Eventually glitchy rival theme will sound and glitch text with many black tiles which is scrollable appears. After that normal badge man texts appear. Map will be glitched afterwards
- 4d Good Rod: Text box with ellipses will appear with normal music playing. If a is pressed after a while then the game locks up with route theme.
- 4e Super Rod: Text box with empty upper part and glitch tile 0 error lower part. Will return to normal afterwards.
- 4f Real PP Up: empty text box with sounds will appear which eventually locks the game up with glitchy guide theme.
- 50 Ether: Empty text box with beepy glitchy guide music. Locks up
- 51 Max Ether: see old rod
- 52 Elixer: see Good Rod
- 53 Max Elixer: see super Rod
- 54 B2F: Sound followed by 0 error.
- 55 B1F: see Oak's Parcel
- 56 1F: See Rival text
- 57 2F: 1 error
- 58 3F: 2 error
- 59 4F: Glitch tiles with error message
- 5a 5F: empty text box with sounds and glitchy elite 4 music. After scrolling sounds play and glitchy gym music, with glitch tile under item name. Locks up
- 5b 6F: Ellipse textbox will appear after a while some ellipses will dissappear, if scrolled through, will cause glitchy guide music to come and locks up
- 5c 7F: 0 error
- 5d 8F: empty text box will appear with sounds, game returns to playable with glitchy evolution music.
- 5e 9F: empty textbox will appear with sounds, after a while the number 188751 will appear with an tile and route theme plays, after a while sounds will play again. Game then turns to normal.
- 5f 10F, Glitch text box appears which start with normal music but then plays sounds and a glitchy sounding music. Locks up
- 60 11F, Causes empty text box with 1 sound, then normal music resumes. After that pressing a causes to many cry sounds to play and glitchy rival music. Pressing a then causes 1 cry to be played. Pressing a afterwards many cries. This continues in a loop. Locks up.
- 61 B4F, Causes cries to be played and encounter themes. Locks up
- 62 w m: glitch tile 7 error
- 63 w s m: causes empty text box with few sounds then returns game to normal with glitchy introduction theme
- 64 v t m: 6 error
- 65 d m: empty which will play sounds with glitchy rival theme and then make the text box scrollable with Cinnabar music. The next text box will play sounds with introduction music then drums after there can be scrolled again. After that game will continue normally with badge man removed.
- 66 m: plays a few sounds with empty text box, after the game will continue normally with Cinnabar music playing and with badge man sprite removed.
- 67 w 'l m: Causes glitchy theme to play with some sounds, then the game continues normally with that theme
- 68 fm Plays part of the escape rope sound, then displays 75 error, then continues normally.
- 69 m (2): displays 79 error, then continues normally.
- 6a - gm: displays empty text box with glitch noises, then returns game to normal with glitchy rival theme
- 6b glitch block: same as above, however glitchy sounds are played for shorter time.
- 6c é: causes ellipse text box to appear, then after a while pressing a causes the game to play sounds and eventually display 0 error before returning the game to normal and changing theme to Cinnabar.
- 6d fills an text box with 9's and plays glitchy rival music, scrolling this text box causes glitch text to appear, the game allows you to exit the message but after exiting badge screen player is stuck in invisible wall.
- 6e Lg -: does nothing
- 6f -g: displays glitch tile with 51 error
- 70 QGns: displays multiple empty textboxed wih sounds playing, the second one will be filled 3982295, after a while it will be scollable and the next textbox plays intro theme with sounds interrupting it before it fills up with that number again with another town theme. Scrolling this time causes an invalid opcode
- 71 Gns: causes glitch text with sounds and glitch text under item name. after a while glitchy evolution music plays for a while. A sound then plays and the game continues normally with badge man sprite removed.
- 72 Q;MP - (glitch tile) 5 error.
- 73 ;MP - 62 error
- 74 - causes game to lockup with invalid opcode with start menu graphics placed on screen, could be dependent on ram contents. When name is not displayed, it just causes some small glitchy parts on screen (invalid opcode is the same). If it is item 2 then the game also displayed start menu graphics without listing name
- 75 causes game to lock up with invalid opcode. If name is not viewed it also causes glitchy parts to appear on screen if it is executed. This does not differ based on list location.
- 76 causes sounds to play and theme with loud noise to be played with empty text box. when scrolling this text box empty text box will appear with sounds playing. eventually filling it with 32 error. After a while it can be scrolled causing list text to be corrupted. Locks up
- 77 4: locks up immediately when selected.
- 78: causes game to play glitch sounds with empty text box, after a while text box is scrollable with a glitchy theme playing. After scrolling Cinnabar theme plays. Scrolling this text box causes game to play sounds for a while until freezing with white screen
- 79 causes a text box to fill up with ellipses and 2 bold G's while sounds are playing including a glitchy Pewter theme. after a while it becomes scrollable with
glitchy rival music and Poké and Rocket text appear on the text boxes. Then displays an error code. The game continues normally with badge man sprite removed.
- 7A: (glitch tile) 0 error
- 7B: causes game to display a text box filling with glitch text, then locks up with invalid opcode.
- 7C: causes ellipse text box, if a is pressed it locks up the game with first few notes of a theme.
- 7d: locks the game up with start menu sprites appearing over the screen
- 7e: locks up the game with glitchy graphics appearing at upper side. If name is displayed, then also some start menu items will appear
- 7f: similar, but no start menu items appear if name is not displayed.
- 80: causes game to crash immediately.
- 81: same.
- 82: name not viewable, crashes game with glitchy graphics if used without name displayed