Ghost Bicycle glitch
The Ghost Bicycle glitch (also known as the Ghost Bike glitch) is a glitch in Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow that causes the "on the Cycling Road" flag in an old save file to carry over to a new game, which prevents the player from using the Bicycle or Surfing with a Pokémon.
- Save the game on the Cycling Road.
- Reset and start a new game (without clearing the save file with Up+Select+B).
- Continue to play this save file until the player gains access to the Bicycle or the field move Surf.
The game will state that the player "can't get off here." when the player tries to use the Bicycle even though the player isn't on the Bicycle, or that "Cycling is fun! Forget SURFing!" when the player tries to Surf (although the player can still use ItemDex/RGBY:007 to Surf).
Trying to use the Bicycle under this glitch.
Trying to Surf under this glitch.
Fixing the glitch
The glitch can be fixed by performing one of the following actions:
- Using Dig, Teleport, Fly, or an Escape Rope.
- Going in and out of the Cycling Road.
- Blacking out (both in battle and in the overworld).
This glitch happens because the "on the Cycling Road" flag, bit 5 of the memory address $D732 ($D731 in Yellow), is erroneously carried over to the new game. This flag is saved within the save file, and is carried over to the new game because:
- When the game is powered up, the save file is loaded before the Continue/New Game/Options screen appears.
- Even though the entire WRAM section containing data loaded from the save file is cleared when selecting "new game", address $D732 is specifically being preserved, presumably because it also contains a debugging flag that will speed up the pregame procedure.
Reason given: Are there any other effects caused by an incomplete WRAM clear?
- VAAMusicalMike and gnsquared for sharing the glitch.
- theflyingpen on Supercheats for bringing up the problem.
- TheZZAZZGlitch for details on why the glitch occurs and how to fix it.